Sir John Hayes MP is the Conservative MP for South Holland and The Deepings, and has been an MP continuously since 1 May 1997.
He has held five ministerial positions and six shadow ministerial positions. Hayes was appointed as a Privy Councillor in April 2013, and a Knight Bachelor in November 2018.
John joined the Conservative Party at the age of 14. His career highlights include:
- Vice-Chairman of the Conservative Party, 1999
- Shadow Schools Minister, 2000
- Assistant Opposition Chief Whip, 2001
- Shadow Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, 2002 to 2003
- Shadow Minister for Housing and Planning, 2003 to 2005
- Shadow Minister for Lifelong Learning, Further and Higher Education, 2007 to 2010
- Minister of State for Further Education, Skills and Lifelong Learning in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and the Department for Education, May 2010 to September 2012
- Minister of State for Energy, Department of Energy and Climate Change, September 2012 to March 2013
- Minister without Portfolio, March 2013 to July 2014
- Minister of State at the Department for Transport and senior Parliamentary adviser to the Prime Minister from July 2014 to May 2015
- Minister for Security at the Home Office from May 2015 until July 2016
During the 2017 Annual Conservative Party Conference, Chair Dr Maurizio Bragagni OBE had the opportunity to introduce to Mr Hayes the Tratos-led initiative for Safer Structures, which received his full support and he joined the campaign for stricter cable regulations for safer homes and buildings across the UK.