A host of influential Labour MPs threw their backing behind the Safer Structures Campaign at the party conference in Liverpool – urging the Government to raise the fire safety standards of cables.
The Safer Structures Campaign secured the support of eleven shadow Labour ministers, thirteen backbench MPs and a host of councillors and labour delegates – demonstrating a growing appetite across the Labour Party for better cable safety.
The support comes ahead of the Government’s call for evidence on building regulations and fire safety – due this autumn – which will provide the opportunity to review and revise the accepted reaction to fire classification of cables. The Safer Structures Campaign will be making a submission to the call for evidence, calling on the Government to introduce a new minimum standard that is the equivalent of Euro Class Cca.
Maurizio Bragagni, Chair of the Safer Structures Campaign, and CEO of Tratos UK, said:
“It was great to be at Labour Party conference to raise awareness of the need to introduce a new minimum standard of cables.
“The support across the Labour Party has been fantastic, and we look forward to working with MPs across all parties back in parliament to make sure that this is an issue firmly on the political agenda.
“Following the Grenfell disaster, it is vital that action is taken to ensure that building regulations across all areas are improved. The Government should use its upcoming review of building regulations and fire safety to introduce a new minimum standard of cables – equivalent of Euro Class Cca.
Shadow ministers who pledged support to the Safer Structures Campaign include:
- John McDonnell MP, Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Peter Dowd MP, Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury
- Andrew Gwynne MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
- Angela Rayner MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Education
- Andy McDonald MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Transport
- Rebecca Long-Bailey MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Nia Griffith MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Defence
- Bill Esterson MP, Shadow Business and International Trade Minister
- David Drew MP, Shadow Minister for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Chi Onwurah MP, Shadow Minister for Industrial Strategy
- Angela Smith MP, Shadow Leader of House of Lords
Labour MPs who pledged support the Safer Structures Campaign include:
- Ruth Smeeth MP
- Gareth Snell MP
- George Howarth MP
- Rosie Duffield MP
- Carolyn Harris MP
- Jim Cunningham MP
- Stephen Pound MP
- Vernon Coaker MP
- Lyn Brown MP
- Darren Jones MP
- Emma Dent-Coad MP
- Kate Green MP